[Diy_efi] DIY-WB question

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Sat Oct 19 18:29:53 GMT 2002

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:52:00 -0400, "A6intruder"
<A6intruder at adelphia.net> wrote:

>Are you in a position to post a corrected circuit?  The cost of building
>these controllers aren't too bad, if it would improve my tune, I'd build
>another.

Well, Dan, as a designer and commercial vendor of this kind of
equipment, I'm not very disposed to cleaning up another's amateur
attempts. I hope it's useful enough for you to be made aware of these
kinds of problems in sub-standard equipment. And I'm not trying to be
merely partisan in any commercial sense; ALL the commercial offerings in
AFR sensing, from FJO, ECM, NTK, Horiba, Bosch, etc. appear to have
gotten the CalR support circuitry correct.

The accuracy problems with the DIY-WB design have been pretty well
publicized by *others* (and with others' data). The CalR circuitry bug
is only one of many issues with that design, so merely posting a
correction to that one part of the circuit wouldn't help with all the
other problems.

Any one interested in these issues, have a look at a datalog posted by a
fellow comparing the DIY-WB with a Bosch LA-3 meter, to see both the
static and transient AFR errors in accuracy (the black line in the plot
is the error between the two):
	ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/incoming/zeittraining-a.xls

Every time this topic has re-emerged, it's generated considerable flap
from several quarters, to the consternation of the moderator, so I'd
suggest to anyone who's interested, just look at the archives
(especially another Bosch/DIY-WB comparison that also showed significant
errors) and this log above, and draw your own conclusions. You won't
have to merely take my word for it.

Gar Willis
EGOR Technology
www.egortech.com