[Diy_efi] Inbuilt mosfet zener to clamp injectors

Tony Bryant brd at paradise.net.nz
Mon Oct 21 14:56:47 GMT 2002

I'm having power dissapation problems with my LM1949-like injector driver
circuit, notably in the zener.

I'm driving 3 injectors per channel, which judging by the 'scope traces are
around 12mH each (Early '80s JECS/Nissan injectors).

What this means is the clamp zener has to suck around 9W  @ 7000RPM, which is
getting to be quite a serious diode.

My PCB has no means to take a TO-220 packaged zener that could take this load,
but the drivers are 80V mosfets, which means if I simply throw away the zener
and rely on the mosfet's inbuilt zener,  I transfer the 9W to the mosfet,
which when added to it's 15W normal load, yields something it can deal with.

The question is:

How dodgy is it relying on the MOSFET's inbuilt zener? Am I asking for
trouble?