[Diy_efi] DIY-WB question

Hugh Keir hugh at sol.co.uk
Tue Oct 22 19:01:51 GMT 2002

I recently had my DIY-WB fitted vehicle on a Bosh 5 gas analyser and can
confirm that according to that unit 14.7:1 AFR = 2.5 volts on my set-up.

I also wish to thank again all the individuals that made the DIY-WB project
happen. Apart from improving my skills with a soldering iron and chip
identification, it gives me great satisfaction to now be setting up my
vehicle with the DIY wideband lambda.

I will be doing further spreadsheet analysis to see where maximum power
comes, but for now I am tuning for 2.05 to 2.1 volts, just richer than
12.5:1 under acceleration and keeping a watchful eye on exhaust gas
temperature, any leaner and the exhaust temps are just too high. I will be
fitting water injection next week to allow for more boost, so don't yet know
how I will deal with the dilutant effect, but will probably compare a run
with to a run without and assume the offset with water on is a constant.

My vehicle also seems very happy cruising at 16:1 but gets a bit laboured at
anything leaner than 17:1

I have tried looking at the injector duration when holding the vehicle at a
constant speed, but have not as yet confirmed that I get greatest economy at
16:1.

Bottom line is, I am as happy as a pig in $hit with my DIY-WB, if Gar's
comments lead to an improved circuit so be it, if not my car still goes like
$hit off a shovel and if there is an error, I hope that my spreadsheet will
show which voltage gives best performance.

Cheers

Hugh