[Diy_efi] What is stoichometric....really?

Phil Lamovie phil at injec.com
Tue Oct 22 19:04:05 GMT 2002

Mike wrote...

> I really think thats conjecture, to suggest on a public forum that
> manufacturers 'cheat' or close to it is tad provocative, rather the
> interpretation is the engine can tolerate some leaning out at higher

> rpm on part load to maximise econony ~`"o

It's what I do for a living. Conjecture is what you read in magazines.

It's not "some leaning out" it's exactly Lambda 1.1 for the very
reasons
I have already stated.

he then wrote...

> Possibly, more likely is the non tow sceanrio where its overly
> rich then lean - either by people experimenting with AFR or any
> connection failure of the O2 sensor,

If the Engine is running constantly rich there is simply no O2 left
to oxidize the exhaust stream. As such there is no conversion and
no temperature rise. The cat just gets sooty. No damage will occur.

this is another bit...

> Huh ! Whats this storage stuff ? There aint no storage, the NOx is
> reduced to N2 and O2 on its way through - thats it - simple as that
!

The storage was introduced thus ...

phil wrote...

>As there is no excess fuel during lean burn there is no reduction of
>NOx with out resorting to a storage type cat.

and now adds...

Time to check your info, there is no way to reduce NOX without adding
hydrocarbon. The cat ONLY works in closed loop. Exactly as it was
designed. It's a catalyst and can only enhance an already possible
chemical reaction. It cannot magically reduce NOX.

hth

phil