[Diy_efi] a/f #s, was What is stoichometric....really?

Grant Beaty gbeaty at ufl.edu
Thu Oct 24 15:53:49 GMT 2002

Are the sensors & WB controllers (I have a FJO, but from what I understand
the FJO, a working DIY, and a dynojet WB all read the same) really accurate?
I know the info is repeatable - which is all that really matters - but I
have a hard time believing when my FJO (which has been tested against other
FJOs) reads 11.0:1, I'm really moving 11 times more mass of air than fuel.
At that level (100% duty) the engine would be moving 56 lbs/min, which
doesn't seem likely at all for a 3L motor running 19psi with stock cams, a
log-style exhaust manifold only spinning to 6800. Using optimistic VEs #s, I
calculated 46 lbs/min at redline. Thats with a ~1.1:1 pressure ratio of
exhaust manifold pressure vs. intake manifold pressure (I haven't tested
exhaust mani pressure at 19 psi, so thats just a estimate).

Grant