[Diy_efi] Newbie with a simplified Motronic project

Kyle Schwulst bigmellon at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 26 09:44:36 GMT 2002

--0-174334646-1035579237=:12728

Hello all,

I am a newbie to this message board but have found it to be filled with a great deal of knowledge.  There seems to be a plethera of interesting projects going on here!!  I have had plenty of experience with fuel injection systems in the auto world, but have never designed and built anything from scratch before.  I looked throughthe archives and found quite a bit of usefull information, but thought I would ask a few questions.

I am working on a VERY basic fuel and ignition control project.  I am trying to do this with as few inputs as possible to keep costs down.  My thoughts were to use a Motorola 68HC11 as the basis for this system mainly because I have experience with them, but also because it has everything I need on a single chip!!!  I obviously need the crank position sensor, but do I need the cam position as well?  If not, how do I make sure what stroke I am on and if I need to either spark or inject?  Here is the catch;  I want to try to get away without using a MAF for this system.  Can I do a pseudo speed density setup with just an intake air temp sensor?  Also, my application doe snot need to meet any emissions standards as of right now.  I am not planning to use an O2 or an EGT.  Can you think of other inputs that may be absolutely necessary?  I want to minimize component count and cost, as well as board space.

I would appreciate input from anyone out there who may be able to help me on this project!

--0-174334646-1035579237=:12728

<P>Hello all,</P>
<P>I am a newbie to this message board but have found it to be filled with a great deal of knowledge.&nbsp; There seems to be a plethera of interesting projects going on here!!&nbsp; I have had plenty of experience with fuel injection systems in the auto world, but have never designed and built anything from scratch before.&nbsp; I looked throughthe archives and found quite a bit of usefull information, but thought I would ask a few questions.</P>
<P>I am working on a VERY basic fuel and ignition control project.&nbsp; I am trying to do this with as few inputs as possible to keep costs down.&nbsp; My thoughts were to use a Motorola 68HC11 as the basis for this system mainly because I have experience with them, but also because it has everything I need on a single chip!!!&nbsp;&nbsp;I obviously need the crank position sensor, but do I need the cam position as well?&nbsp; If not, how do I make sure&nbsp;what stroke I am on&nbsp;and if I need to either spark or inject?&nbsp; Here is the catch;&nbsp; I want to try to get away without using a MAF for this system.&nbsp; Can I do a pseudo speed density setup with just an intake air temp sensor?&nbsp; Also, my application doe snot need to meet any emissions standards as of right now.&nbsp; I am not planning to use an O2 or an EGT.&nbsp; Can you think of other inputs that may be absolutely necessary?&nbsp; I want to minimize component count and&nbsp;cost, as well as&nbsp;board space.</P>
--0-174334646-1035579237=:12728--