[Diy_efi] How would I calculate the mass of the air w/ only IAT and MAP?

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 30 22:38:41 GMT 2002

--- Eric D Byrd <klox at juno.com> wrote:

> I read somewhere, I think from the Ecu shunt I
> bought to enrich my mixture, that disconnecting the
> battery and reconnecting forces its OBD0 Ecu to
> recalibrate or some such, and that it won't run
> optimally until it finishes.  I don't know for sure,
> but I would speculate that it is able to guesstimate
> a decent VE map just from running in closed loop
> for a while, and then apply an extrapolated version
> to open loop operation.  Anybody know for sure?

I am not anything near an expert on "learning" ECUs,
but I can speculate from what I do know.

Presumably, the "smart" way to do it would be to have
target O2 sensor(s) ranges for a variety or operating
conditions, and it would allow the ECU some latitude
in trimming the in-built map based on feedback from
the O2 sensor(s), even in open-loop mode.

However, the trim has limits beyond which it cannot
adjust, and those depend on the ECU and how it was
designed.  Persumably, very few ECUs are designed to
be able to "learn" radically different cams...

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |