[Diy_efi] How would I calculate the mass of the air w/ only IAT and

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Wed Oct 30 22:39:09 GMT 2002

Eric D Byrd wrote:

> CRX Si.  I read somewhere, I think from the Ecu shunt I bought to enrich
> my mixture, that disconnecting the battery and reconnecting forces its
> OBD0 Ecu to recalibrate or some such, and that it won't run optimally
> until it finishes.  I don't know for sure, but I would speculate that it
> is able to guesstimate a decent VE map just from running in closed loop
> for a while, and then apply an extrapolated version to open loop
> operation.  Anybody know for sure?

I certainly don't know anything for sure.  But my guess would be that
the ECU has a very limited ability to cope with VE changes, to the
extent that normal wear and/or deposits cause minor changes in flow.
But remember that the car only runs in closed loop for certain
situations (idle and cruise), so the ECU's VE table at higher pressures
(i.e. WOT) and the upper RPM ranges would be pure speculation at best --
and these tend to be the parts that people who swap cams care about...
Unless the cam is very similar to stock, I would expect to have to remap
to reap any real benfits from a SD ECU.

Brian