[Diy_efi] MC3334

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Sat Sep 14 14:31:18 GMT 2002

Having driven several IRF840's in parallel on inverters, I can
tell you that even one 840 or 740 has a fair gate capacitance,
and even when we had a small number we really had to insert a
high transient current capacit driver...

The instantaneous current is given by i=Cdv/dt

this can be simplified in terms of this drive by:-

C = Gate capacitance
dv = Gate voltage drive (ie. Measure range from v max to 0 on scope)
dt = period of time over which it actually changes.

So you can see that a short transition results in a large current,
your driver cct may not be capable of supplying this transition,
hence the fet switches slowly hence it heats up !

the other thing is Drain Source Diode - acts like a zener ! ! ! !

and this can draw/snub a fair back emf *also* causing heat, if
the 320v is measured on a slow timebase cro, as the real peak
may be higher - but then again the device hasn't failed has it,
so its more then likely the main heat contributor is slow turnon
and *of course* slow turn off as well !

In my experience wtih a nice fast crisp driver the mosfet should
run about 30 - 40 deg in that scenario, (more or less)

Suggest use a higher voltage mosfet and/or put in a snubber
cct and definitely a meatier gate driver, Motorola make several
or use a pnp/npn pair - like bc547 and compliment with a gate
zener just to be safe,

rgds

Mike