[Diy_efi] Fuel Tank Modifications

bill breadon at snet.net
Mon Dec 29 16:18:18 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <clair.davis at charter.net>
To: "diy_efi" <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2003 12:07 AM
Subject: [Diy_efi] Fuel Tank Modifications

> Sort of a simple question, but what modifications will I need to make to
my
> fuel tank prior to installing my EFI kit?  The car in question is a 69
> Plymouth Valiant, and in particular, I'm wondering if I'll really need any
> sort of baffles in the tank to keep fuel around the pump pickup?  The pump
> will be external, using the stock pickup and sending unit.  The return
line
> will be plumbed in to the pickup mounting flange.  Where can I find some
> guidance on how/where to install these baffles, and whether or not they're
> really necessary?  I will be autocrossing this car, so high lateral g's
will
> be experienced from time to time.  For the races, I plan to keep the tank
> full, but I can safely say there will be times in "real life" where I take
> corner and the tank isn't going to be full.  Any advice or links
> appreciated.
> Clair
> 69 Valiant with 7730/MPI pending
> Fort Worth, TX

you will probably need to build a surge tank and plumb the electric fuel
pump from that (a fuel cell available from most speed shops) will work ok, a
bonus is you can use the factory fuel pump to keep the surge tank full .
Another way would be a custom fuel tank from a company like tanks inc. (look
in hot rodding magazines for their address, I don't think the are on the web
yet) with a intank fuel pump great for the "sleeper" look