[Diy_efi] Fuel Tank Modifications

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Mon Dec 29 20:26:40 GMT 2003

Everything I've read/heard says you'll have problems below 1/4 full.
The TPI/TBI swapping book from JTR (jagsthatrun.com) has a chapter on
fuel system modifications.  What's best for you depends on the type of
OEM hardware available.  I was able to find a bolt in tank from a later
year model that came with EFI and a baffle.  Maybe that's an option for
you.  If not then a surge tank may be good.  It doesn't have to be big,
a few ounces of fuel are enough to last around an offramp curve.  The
surge tank will also simplify return line plumbing.  Or a custom tank.

--steve

clair.davis at charter.net wrote:

> Sort of a simple question, but what modifications will I need to make to my
> fuel tank prior to installing my EFI kit?  The car in question is a 69
> Plymouth Valiant, and in particular, I'm wondering if I'll really need any
> sort of baffles in the tank to keep fuel around the pump pickup?  The pump
> will be external, using the stock pickup and sending unit.  The return line
> will be plumbed in to the pickup mounting flange.  Where can I find some
> guidance on how/where to install these baffles, and whether or not they're
> really necessary?  I will be autocrossing this car, so high lateral g's will
> be experienced from time to time.  For the races, I plan to keep the tank
> full, but I can safely say there will be times in "real life" where I take a
> corner and the tank isn't going to be full.  Any advice or links
> appreciated.
> Clair
> 69 Valiant with 7730/MPI pending
> Fort Worth, TX