[Diy_efi] This turbo assist stuff, suggestions

efi student efi.student at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 1 05:13:19 GMT 2003

Got data?  I can get all the anecdotal evidence I want from lots of
testimonies, but I can get the same thing for Prolong or Slick 50.

If you think ball bearings have less friction than a properly oiled =
plain
bearing, you're kidding yourself.  Plain bearings have some pretty
significant advantages over ball bearings.  And you're right, I've never
seen a plain bearing turbo spin for 40 seconds after losing oil =
pressure,
but it really doesn't mean that it has lower friction in service.  There =
are
lots of reasons why ball bearings are better for some things, but it's =
hard
to believe that they improve spool.  As a for instance, ball bearings =
first
showed up in turbos in the 30's.  What makes them new and better now?
Ceramics?  The marketing guys are all over this, but the engineers don't
support the marketing claims.  If you have proof positive (data, charts =
from
data you have collected, etc,) I know a LOT of people who would be
interested in seeing your results.

Lance