[Diy_efi] This turbo assist stuff, suggestions

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 1 05:05:39 GMT 2003

At 10:49 AM 1/1/03 +1300, you wrote:
>You my friend have
>a) got too much time

Comparatively speaking, took 20 mins to write and I needed a rest ;)

>b) smoked too many drugs in your youth

Well I was a bit high on red whine, cheese and glazed ginger,
and who says I aint still in my youth. Hey ! I feel like a 20
year old - trouble is I cant find a 20year old when I want one !

>c) are a smart cookie ;)
Now thats what I've been aiming for, but havent quite got there
yet cause most people dont like the taste of dem cookies ;)

>Why not use a properly sized exh housing with a BB core and a modern
>compressor design?

Yeah sure, but that is a 'static' setup, the whole point of the dual
system I described is its controlability allowing widest range of
possible control - from mild drivable city use with optimum economy
to full on powerhouse street racing output and best transient response :) !

>Modern GT turbos can spool as low as 7psi @ 2200rpm on a 2l and produce over
>400hp.

Yeah maybe, cost a bit for my 3L and I dont ike the ceramic exhaust wheels,
these have a habit of shattering if they go over speed or handle too
large a boost spike.

I just like the idea of doing something different which has a wide
range of controllable aspects and can use cheap off the shelf turbos,
I've been doing some figures last night on a dual turbo setup, as thats
done on the Nissan Skyline GTR's with the same RB30ET block on my car,
there may be room for a pair of comp nozzles to spin em up nicely.

>Quire frankly I don't like boost that low so I'd go bigger, and nothing is
>simpler that a quick wiff of nitrous setup on pressure switches to get a
>massively oversized turbo up and away ;)

Sure, thats one way to go, Nitrous is illegal here for street use (AFAIK),
but compressed air aint and doing it differently is part of the challenge
and may well attract some commercial interest,

rgds

mike