[Diy_efi] This turbo assist stuff, suggestions

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 1 17:38:05 GMT 2003

At 12:12 PM 1/1/03 -0500, Jay Wallace <wallkatt at netzero.com>  wrote:

>Mike,
>Last time that I heard, there were over 1 million ceramic turbos factory
>installed in Japan and not one failure. Have you ever heard of an actual
>failure or is it just a worry?

What definitive statistical confirmation is there that there is 'not one
failure' and over what time period ? , out of a million of anything we
have these things called standard deviation, funny but this universal
property of all manufactured goods seems to crop up from to time ~`:o  ?

Bear in mind that in Japan cars *must* have an emissions check with
some stringency 3 years after sale from new, plus a heap of other
compliance items. Funny that the vast majority of imports I've seen
here in Australia are just on 3 years old. So factory problems may not
occur (much) in Japan but they sure as hell do some 3 or more years
after they leave Japan. Also, I have heard from Sydney mechanic who used
to travel to the large wreckers yards and dealers in Japan (Where they
have their own hotel accomodation *on* the wrecking yard), that as the
cars approach the magic 3 year mark that the cars tend to get thrashed
by their drivers who know only too well they are going to dump them.
There are very very few turbo cars more than 3 years old in Japan, at
least the factory unmodified ones...

Factory setups _may_ have little if any problems as far as the propoganda
and selective stats may well indicate,  however i have seen on
several user groups, auscars at yahoo, nissans13 at yahoo and news:aus.cars that
ceramic wheels are prone to shatter when people up the boost levels,
install variety of their own bleed valve plumbing, swap turbos, size
incorrectly, use cheap air filters, play around with nitrous or bad
water injection setups etc etc...

Even though your classic nickel steel super alloy turbine wheel spools up
a bit slower, I think I prefer its robustness! I've had my T3 thrashed
when it was stolen (twice) and I've been less than careful when I had really
lean mixtures and it hasnt even had a rebuild or seal service after 250,000K,
so I have one piece of anecdotal evidence that there is little wrong with
the nonceramic wheel on my Garrett...

Rgds

Mike
Perth, Western Australia