[Diy_efi] This turbo assist stuff, suggestions

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 1 19:29:37 GMT 2003

At 02:07 PM 1/1/03 -0500, you wrote:
>At 01:43 03/01/02 +0800, Jay Wallace <wallkatt at netzero.com> wrote:
>>What definitive statistical confirmation is there that there is 'not one
>>failure' and over what time period ? , out of a million of anything we
>>have these things called standard deviation, funny but this universal
>>property of all manufactured goods seems to crop up from to time ~`:o  ?
>

>Mike,
>I am a ceramic engineer and have some interest in the topic. The info that
>I have came from a Japan Fine Ceramics representative when I visited there
>about 6 years ago: over a million turbos at that time and not one failure,
>zip, null, nada. Standard deviation = 0. I was just trying to find out if
>there had been documented failures since then.

Having worked in Malaysia and having heard of the experience of my business
agent who has worked on major projects with Japanese involvement, I can
tell you the 'selectivity' of including or rejecting statistical 'outliners'
is an art that us poor westerners have yet to learn from a psychological
perspective. One would ask what metric they use for inclusion in a
sample set. Surely being an engineer you'd appreciate there are complex
stress issues wich one may not accept as a failure but a tolerance
issue subject to integration or similar paradigm.

ie. The step prior to classification of a "failure" for inclusion in
a statistic is 'open to interpretation' and one loses face in Asian society
very quickly if one has "even a single failure". It becomes rather more
important to save loss of face than accept what we westerners would call
a failure, its all in the wording *and tone* of the question ~`:o  !!

I'd suggest posting a few questions to those user groups in my last
email and seeing what feedback you also get from here.

I might add, I have nothing in principle against the use of ceramic
wheels - with wide tolerance, in factory (conservative) applications,
I just feel more comfortable in those other circumstances with
something a little more old fashioned - dat silvery metal ;)

Rgds

Mike
Perth, Western Australia
Some power/auto stuff here:-  http://www.iinet.net.au/~erazmus