[Diy_efi] Digifant (was:This turbo assist stuff...)

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 2 16:55:10 GMT 2003

At 10:45 PM 1/2/03 +0800, you wrote:
>> I and other engineers can probably be safe to say they can guarantee
>> that placing a good suppression cap from ignition +ve near your coil
>> (if this is the positive ignition supply) to ground (also near your
>> coil) wont do any damage but will improve dramatically the AC circuit
>> your ECU and ignition amp is seeing !
>
>The ECU doesn't see any of that.

Huh !?  Are you saying the ECU and coil are driven from separate
supplies, dont think so - you have 'one' battery dont you and
one alternator ?

ECU +ve comes from ignition +ve, maybe through a relay, one side
of your coil is switched from ground or switched from ignition +ve,
hence the ECU does and will see disturbance on its supply voltage
and via AC coupling will also see  noise on its signal input
lines depending on how well they are loomed...

>> I take it you havent tried some other bosch amp as a swap ?
>
>No. All the other Digifant Golfs do that when you don't give them
>enough Octane. It's a feature.

Well the only direct solution is either reprogram the old ECU,
get another ECU from a later model that didnt have this problem
which is compatible or throw it away firmly and get an after
market ECU.

Rgds

Mike
Perth, Western Australia