[Diy_efi] Area under torque curve?

Mike Diehl mdiehl at dominion.dyndns.org
Sat Jan 4 01:50:12 GMT 2003

On Friday 03 January 2003 05:49 pm, Marcell Gal wrote:
     > The torque curve is informative since it is flatter than the power
     > curve (and it's like VE).

So, if I could get either the torque or power curve, which would be more
useful in tuning?  And would the torque curve be a good/close approximation
to VE, or is it only *like* VE?

     > A common misconcept that high torque is more important than high
     > power. Power accelerates car, not torque. (One can simply make a low
     > rpm motor with extremely high torque).

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this.  I understood that power
indicated how much work an engine could do.  If so, this would indicate how
FAST a car can go.  Torque is how much force is applied to the car which
would indicate how QUICK the car is.  What am I missing?

     > Reasonable power in a
     > reasonable rpm-range makes an engine reasonable ;-)

Sounds... reasonable. <whack!>

     > If you really want some "area", you should look at the average power
     > in a range that reflects your gear ratios, somewhere around RPM of
     > maxP. Than you almost know at which points you should change gears for
     > max acceleration and what performance to expect.

I was alluding to this in my original post.  Thanx for expanding on it.

--
Mike Diehl
'87 MR-2, 7A-Ge, Hand-bent headers