[Diy_efi] Area under torque curve?

Derek derek at lola7.com
Sat Jan 4 02:21:38 GMT 2003

See reply at bottom.

--- Mike Diehl wrote:

> > So let me try your question now -
> > X = torque = force x distance
> > Y = revs/time
> > Area under = force x distance x revs / time
> >            = force x distance / time (since revs are dimensionless)
> >            = "lb.ft. per sec" for instance
> >            = "rate of doing work"
> >            =  POWER - I think! - correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Ok, I was getting stuck with the revs.  You say they are
> dimensionless; they may be.
> On the other hand, revs translates to distance which makes your
> equation:
> 	= force x distance^2 / time
>
> Of course this is meaningless, at least to me, and that is why I was
> stuck.
> So now I have to understand how you were able to say that revs are
> dimensionless.

Of course revs are dimensionless!
What dimensions would you put on them - time? distance? force?

Or think of it this way -
 - linear POWER = force x velocity
                = force x distance / time
 - rotational POWER = torque x revs (rotation speed)
                    = force x distance / time
   - SAME THING only if revs are dimensionless.

Quod est demonstrandum - if you're a mathematician
Re ipse loquitur - if you're a lawyer.
Math and logic have been more useful than Latin though!

Derek