[Diy_efi] Area under torque curve?

Bevan Weiss kaizen__ at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 4 05:01:03 GMT 2003

> See reply at bottom.
>
> --- Mike Diehl wrote:
> >
> > > So let me try your question now -
> > > X = torque = force x distance
> > > Y = revs/time
> > > Area under = force x distance x revs / time
> > >            = force x distance / time (since revs are dimensionless)
> > >            = "lb.ft. per sec" for instance
> > >            = "rate of doing work"
> > >            =  POWER - I think! - correct me if I'm wrong.
> >
> > Ok, I was getting stuck with the revs.  You say they are
> > dimensionless; they may be.
> > On the other hand, revs translates to distance which makes your
> > equation:
> > = force x distance^2 / time
> >
> > Of course this is meaningless, at least to me, and that is why I was
> > stuck.
> > So now I have to understand how you were able to say that revs are
> > dimensionless.
>
> Of course revs are dimensionless!
> What dimensions would you put on them - time? distance? force?
>
> Or think of it this way -
>  - linear POWER = force x velocity
>                 = force x distance / time
>  - rotational POWER = torque x revs (rotation speed)
>                     = force x distance / time
>    - SAME THING only if revs are dimensionless.
>
> Quod est demonstrandum - if you're a mathematician
> Re ipse loquitur - if you're a lawyer.
> Math and logic have been more useful than Latin though!

You most defineately cannot say that revs are dimensionless, if you spelled
out the entire acronyms for RPM you would understand what I mean...
Revolutions Per Minute, hence the unit is probably related to an angular
velocity in terms of radians per minute (that being x*2*PI radians per
minute, or x*2/60*PI radians per second).  You would then multiply this by
the radius of the tire (after gearing conversion) to get the distance
travelled in terms of meters per second...

Dimensionless... very much not