[Diy_efi] Water metanol turbo assist

arnie arnie_ at charter.net
Sun Jan 5 06:07:14 GMT 2003

Greg, (re)checked the NACA papers that you so graciously recommended.  They
were easy to locate, having been on hard drive from previous diy-efi
discussion.  So I will now expand on my previous post regarding durability.
BTW, please refer to a dictionary for the word durability, if necessary.

Not sure if you actually read material that you recommend to others, so I'll
note some pertinent info from those(NACA) papers.  Although no data,
ironically, was collected specifically regarding durability (read longevity)
hint at what to expect WAS noted.  I trust I'm not typing too fast for
anyone.

Reference was made to the amount of water (read oil dilution) was found in
the oil.  And while a great amount of this water can be removed with oil
temps properly elevated, any water that reaches the oil containment area
(read oil pan) is NOT a good sign.  It is a safe bet this water is reaching
the
oil pan past the rings.  Now, trusting you are still with me Greg, water
getting
past the rings, on it's way to the pan, is/will be taking some oil along
with it.
With less oil available on the walls, seal or anti scuff properties will
suffer.
It is also important to note, that the engines used in the testing were run
at 2000 rpms, as well as noting relatively few hours were spent testing the
merits of WI to ever bring to light, durability issues.

And while a valiant attempt (btw thanks, Adam) was made to present the
water/fuel relationship in a more simpler light, I have determined, with my
limited (3rd grade) reading skills, with an unacceptable amount of water
finding it's way to the pan, relatively speaking, it is STILL a HELL of a
lot
of water.  :)

GAS