[Diy_efi] Water metanol turbo assist

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 5 16:02:40 GMT 2003

At 9:48 PM 1/4/03, arnie wrote:
>> Any more than that will just decrease output and hurt efficiency
>> no danger of hurting the engine.
>
>Greg, I agree from THAT perspective.  Proper hone is critical, not just
>for ring sealing, but for piston lubrication.  The medium used/needed
>for this sealing/lubrication is the oil.  If enuf water is injected into the
>combustion process, this can have a negative affect on the amount of
>oil the hone 'plateau' in the cylinder will retain/hold.  This is my major
>concern.

Oil and water don't mix. Yes, the water being injected should be WELL
atomized. Same as the fuel !! Excess fuel is far more likely to "wash" the
oil off of the cylinder walls than water is , since oil is fuel soluble !!

See my immediately previous post about NOT needing to run so rich at WOT
when using WI, and then think some more about  your stated concern
regarding wear.

As for getting water into the oil--combustion of petrol produces copious
amounts of water anyway, all you are doing with WI is adding more, not
adding anything foreign. My comments have been about steady state running.
Might well be a good idea to put a thermostatic cutoff on the WI--don't
enable it until the engine is warmed up.

Greg