[Diy_efi] Water metanol turbo assist

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 5 21:11:41 GMT 2003

--- arnie <arnie_ at charter.net> wrote:

> When 30% of the oil pan contents (by weight) is
> water, that 'red flag' had better be waivin'.

Jumpin' Jehosephat!  That's a huge amount of water.

I wonder if some of that is because of the tremendous
cooling that aircraft engines receive at higher
altitudes, preventing the water from cooking off?  Of
course, if it makes it to the oil pan at all, that is
a problem.

> Adam, I agree the ring material, honing techniques,
> the oil composition itself, and thus, sealing
> efficiency of today is superior to the WW2 era, so
> it is likely that quantity of water found in the pan
> will be less.  However, I fail to see how the actual
> amount of cylinder wall washing (or the ability of
> the water to 'scrub' the walls) will change much,
> given the superior oil of today.

I'd be thinking more of the increased lubrication
efficiency of today's designs.  Radial engines are
notoriously hard to oil well and evenly.

I don't have the NACA papers handy, but what amount of
water injection vs. fuel, by volume, are we talking
about?  Also, how good is the fine atomization of the
injection system?  My sense is that the finer the
atomization, the less issue there would be with wall
washing OR water in the oil.

> It strikes me odd, (actually I find it somewhat
> amusing) that with the amount of emphasis placed on
> documenting the performance merits of WI observed in
> the testing, in that (NACA) report, there was a
> conspicuous lack of attention/concern  given to the
> water dilution in the oil.

I think the service life of engine oil was measured in
very small units.  ;)

> It would appear to me, that objectives had been set,
> and the 'correct' conclusions were to be achieved,
> come hell or high water.  :)

That is often the case in war...

> Btw, Adam ?, ah, actually I don't subscribe to the
> 'kinder gentler' America theme.   :)   :D

Me, either.  Should I put parts my posts inside
<sarcasm></sarcasm> tags?  ;)

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |