[Diy_efi] diy-wb mailing list

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 8 04:03:48 GMT 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:55:12AM +0800, Mike wrote:

> At 02:18 PM 1/8/03 +1030, you wrote:
> >Just a note:

> >> http://wb_lcd.home.att.net/

> >ERROR
> >The requested URL could not be retrieved
> >
> >While trying to retrieve the URL: http://wb_lcd.home.att.net/
> >The following error was encountered:
> >Invalid URL
> >Illegal character in hostname; underscores are not allowed.
> >
> >Underscores cant be used in domain names... its not proper HTTP format.
> >Use a "-" instead.

> Worked fine for me - no problems whatsoever, Netscape 4.8 on W98se,

> It *has* the nderscore in the browser goto field, I didnt edit the field
> at all, which browser were you using ?

Squid proxy server will refuse a hostname with an underscore because
an underscore is not legal according to the what's acceptable for a
host name. The browser should refuse it as well.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc952.txt
	<name>  ::= <let>[*[<let-or-digit-or-hyphen>]<let-or-digit>]

Just because it works with _some_, doesn't mean it works with all.