[Diy_efi] Seen one, want LOTS more !!

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 9 23:56:40 GMT 2003

Santa wife, who is a librarian the rest of the year, managed to get me a
copy of the (out of print) Humphries book "Automotive Supercharging and
Turbocharging Systems" (Motorbooks)

GREAT book, best one I've ever come across on the subject, including
McInnes and Bell.

Long story short, on page 112 (bottom left) is a TURBINE MAP, credited to
Garrett and said to be for a TO-25 turbine. Essentially, it consists of two
graphs -- one is Turbine Pressure Ratio vs. Turbine Efficiency, the other
is Turbine Pressure Ratio vs. Corrected Turbine Mass Flow (in lbs./min.).
In this particular case, because the TO-25 has an integral waste gate,
there are five lines on each of the two graphs--each line for different
waste gate positions between 0.0" (closed) and 0.4" (wide open).

The main point is that THIS DATA EXISTS--- SOMEWHERE-- and quite likely
exists for every possible pairing of turbine wheel trim and exhaust housing
(each A/R housing and configuration--on center, tangential, or split--
should have a different curve, for each and every Garrett turbo !! In the
case of turbos without integral wastegates, there would only be one line on
each graph, BUT THAT'S ALL THAT WOULD BE NEEDED !

My POINT is that THESE turbine curves are ALL of the rest (besides the
compressor maps) of the info needed (only other number needed is pre
turbine EGT !!) to do a full quantitative turbo match to an engine, rather
than doing it "by guess and by golly" !!

SO--does _ANYBODY_ know where to find copies of the rest of these turbine
maps for Garrett (or any other mfgrs.) ???

Thanks,

Greg