[Diy_efi] Seen one, want LOTS more !!

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 10 22:38:40 GMT 2003

At 2:57 PM 1/10/03, Oolan Zimmer wrote:

 Garrett's new catalog,
>>http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/jsp/index.jsp I'm not sure how
>>to read them, but I'm guessing Oolan's links will help.
>
>Thanks, Grant!

Got the Garrett catalogue at <www.limitengineering.com>. LOTS of good info
in it, don't forget to grab the tech section !

>I took the time to read the thesis I posted the link to last night, it's
>point is that turbine maps aren't as useful a design tool for automobiles
>as one would think.  The turbine maps are generated from steady-state
>conditions, while in a real engine the turbine is hit with (possibly
>supersonic) pulses from individual cylinder discharges.  This can result in
>quite different behavior than the steady state tests would imply.

This depends _very_ much on the type of exhaust manifold used !! :-)

Generally, you get better turbine efficiency with a pressure recovery type
exhaust manifold than with a pulse conversion type, but a pulse conversion
type can give much better transient response---

Greg

  He