[Diy_efi] Importance of TPS with lightweight cars

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Sun Jan 12 00:45:31 GMT 2003

Thinking back to the discussion a couple of weeks ago on load and how
vehicle weight effects the fuel and spark maps I started wondering whether
TPS% and TPSdot start to take on a much higher significance with very light
cars ( say 1500lbs and under) and with manual gearboxes. It hinges around
the facts that, with a performance engine in said lightweight

a) most of the time the engine is not having to work hard at all
b) small changes in airflow have a far more significant affect on
accleration due to low inertia.

Makes me wonder if the tuning strategy shouldn't be to lean off as far as
possible through most of the range and then have a fairly agressive
acceleration and PE strategy  to handle when you open out the throttle.
Seems to be sensible, but most of the stuff I have read on tuning light cars
has been track oriented, where you focus on peak power and are less worried
about the drivability and economy side of it.

Any experiences out there?

Rgds

Bill