[Diy_efi] GDI cont'd

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 13 01:02:27 GMT 2003

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 12:43:28PM -0800, efi student wrote:
> Thanks Greg, I'm glad to see something useful come of their work.

You may be able to read about other applications on their web site.
Aprilia motor scooter is another application.

> I just remembered reading about their prototypes and the source
> claimed that we would soon all be driving vehicles with Orbital
> engines in them because of their efficiency, reduced parts count,
> excellent emissions profile, etc..

Well, those were their hopes. If Engineers aren't allowed to dream;
they can't create.

> Don't know if you remember but they had a unique engine
> configuration that they were touting as a real breakthrough in
> mechanical design and thermal efficiency.  It was a radial design

_Orbital_. The piston doesn't rotate.

> as I recall with exceptionally low compression.  I wonder whatever
> happened to that project?

On the shelf. It's a BIG shelf.

Novel design with an umber of inherent design weaknesses. The main
one being seals. Similar to the problems of the Wankel rotary.

Ever tried sealing a corner with a sliding seal?

The OCP (Orbital Combustion Process) is off-shoot technology. There
are myths and fables about its development. AFAIR, air-assisted fuel
injection was a serindipidous discovery. Never look serendipity in
the mouth.

May be worthwhile to check the currency of the Patent(s). But
AFAICT, Orbital now have more lawyers than Engineers... just to keep
track of Patents and other IP.