[Diy_efi] GDI Cont'd

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 13 01:22:27 GMT 2003

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 01:43:00PM -0700, joeld wrote:
> We have already looked at Orbital, but as someone else said it is
> a 48V system. Adapting this into a snowmobile is really not
> feasable because of weight/simplicity restrictions.

48V ??  You mean 42V ??

That choice would be to operate the injector solenoids more rapidly.

It was operating in a fleet of Police cars in England for some time
in real-world trials and AFAIK, is still operating in converted test
vehicles here in W.A..

> We also want to go one step farther than them and run a sealed
> crankcase and us a supercharger to bring our air in, thus
> elliminating using 2-stroke oil.

Maybe you should read some more of what they've done. :-)

I'm still bound by a gentlemens' agreement regarding their recent
work. I probably don't know any trade secrets worth sharing anyway.
:-)

As for weight/simplicity restrictions, Volkswagen, in the 1L
diesel-engined car, use battery power as "boost". Nominal fuel
consumption is 1.0 l/100km largely due to engineering for low
weight.

A motor-generator device may be useful - you don't have a separate
starter and generator; one device does both and can also be used to
boost peak power, allowing for a smaller engine. Depending on your
resources, it seems to be best to incorporate the motor-generator
into a flywheel.

An _active_ flywheel "absorbs" peaks and "powers" through troughs as
the crankshaft turns. The charge for smoothing rotational speed is
stored in "super-caps".  Flywheel mass can then be drastically
reduced - just enough material to keep the rotating parts in
place...