[Diy_efi] Standard for measuing airflow

Grant Beaty gbeaty at ufl.edu
Mon Jan 13 16:07:11 GMT 2003

Is there one? Some readily-available MAF I can put on my car with a known
_accurate_ transfer function? My current MAF is giving me airflow #s that I
have a hard time believing. The results are repeatable, but I don't think
they are accurate. Its a hot-wire MAF and I figured out the transfer
function using a voltmeter, excel, and a obd2 scan tool (I've tried more
than one brand of scanners, they all read the same). I'm positive the
transfer function I'm using is 100% correct relative to what the scan tool
says.

I did the math and my MAF says I'm getting about 103% VE at torque peak
dropping to around 89% by redline (5000-6800). Engine is a DOHC 3.0L I6
running 18 psi of boost, slightly less exhaust manifold pressure than boost
pressure. The head & cams are stock though, and have very little overlap, I
think its 4 degrees. The exhaust manifold is a log, and the intake manifold
is stock and tuned for some stupidly low RPM. Do those VE #s seem impossibly
high? I was expecting 95% max, although I really have no experience with
this stuff. I've still got a few small corks in the intake & exhaust
plumbing too.

And before anyone asks, I did correct everything to SAE standards, otherwise
it would be higher, being winter and all.

Thanks for any help,
Grant Beaty