[Diy_efi] Additives

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 14 05:07:16 GMT 2003

Hi,

Its not a matter of being 'convinced' as if there is any suggestion
of 100% certainty in anything we do, technical or otherwise !

It is on the balance of probabilities:-

a.	Metal particles are mostly ionic, tend to coalesce,
	unless there is clear compelling evidence to contrary.
	Copper and Lead are known to become congealed when
	subjected to pressure in areas such as gear pumps.
b.	Company makes an income promoting something different
	and uses 'hype', not hard technical evidence and very
	bad use of experimental methods coupled with selective
	use of anecdotal feedback from 'best' customers.
	AND company manipulates sensibilities of 'distributors'
	psyche in that they can make money from their associates,
	the 'greed' motive is higher on the agenda on these
	companies than any hard technical metallurgical evidence.
c.	Consumers with unclear use of any experimental methods
	'report' benefit with overtones of placebo psychology
	where emphasis is on income from beneficial results.
d.	Recognised oil manufacturers, Shell, Mobil etc. Go to
	great lengths to minmise contaminants in oil,
	ESPECIALLY any metallic particles !
e.	Car manufacturers have never promoted or condoned
	the use of any metal particles in engine oil.

On the combinatorial complexity of probabilities which you might
reasonably assign above, where do you think you would be best
served - using the best engine oils or paying a company with
dubious tactics to add bits of metal to your engine oil ?

Rgds

mike

At 10:00 AM 14/1/2003 +1100, you wrote:

>Mike,
>	Thank you for taking the time to explain, I understand your friend's anger.
>I can't say that I'm totally convinced yet, but you have certainly given
me significant food for thought, and I will investigate further.
>	By the way, our two cars are Peugeot 505GTI - L Jetronic - now 392,000km,
and Peugeot 505GTD Turbo 2.5l turbo diesel - now ~240,000km.
>	The GTI has started pinging significantly in the last 2 months (started
early December) so the recent discussion on advance/Knock/fuels/etc has
also been of great interest.