[Diy_efi] Re: Diy_efi Digest, Vol 1, Issue 524

Axel Rietschin axel_rietschin at compuserve.com
Wed Jan 15 23:01:59 GMT 2003

From: <Tlsalt at aol.com>

> Hello Axel,
>
> I saw this engine up close and running several times in the early 80's and
> wondered why BMW took a different path than the other turbo engines.  All
of
> the versions I saw and photographed had a mechanical throttle ahead of the
> turbo compressor and all of them had wastegates on the exhaust turbine.
There
> were no other throttles on the engine.  While Honda and Ferrari were using
> EFI injectors, BMW used a timed mechanical injection at over 400psi and
> replaced the normal throttle linkage to the injection pump with an
electric
> servo motor. At least they didn't have to connect the turbo throttle plate
> the injection pump on the other side of the engine under the manifold.
They
> were the only ones throttling the compressor, but I've never seen an
> explanation for it, have you ?  In that application, the throttle was
usually
> open or shut. It was the highest specific output of the turbo motors
(perhaps
> of all GP engines), but I think that was largely due to chemistry. It did
> make a nice sound echoing off the buildings in downtown Detroit.
>
> Paul Saltwick

Hello,

My remarks are based on an observation of one of those engines in the actual
engine builder's workshop in early 2000. One engine was being re-assembled
to be sent to G. Berger at BMW in commemoration of the old days. I cannot
tell if the engine actually raced in this configuration or not. There is a
small picture of a similar engine on their website (www.mader-racing.com)
where one can clearly see a wastegate, however.

Axel