[Diy_efi] RE: Throttling intake air -- references

Andrew Theurer habanero at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 16 16:11:58 GMT 2003

On Thursday 16 January 2003 06:34, Grant Beaty wrote:
> And this is with a wastegate, I can hear it open modulating the throttl=
e as
> low as 8ish psi. Without the WG the pressure ratio would be even greate=
r.

Grant, is your WG refrenced to manifold pressure or pre TB pressure?  I=20
suspect manifold, and would expect the large pressure ratios to drop=20
significantly if it were refrencing pre TB pressure, right?

FWIW, the "new" way to control boost may be more efficient, but IMO, the=20
multiple relationships, throttle->intake->combustion->exhaust->turbo is t=
o=20
complicated to get a solid control machanism.  If someone thinks not, ple=
ase=20
go ahead and prove me wrong.  I would love to see one, but until I do, wh=
at's=20
the point of going back and forth? =20

What about a "new" wastgate that is a variable A/R turbine housing?  Boos=
t is=20
controlled by increasing A/R to the point where is maintains desired boos=
t. =20
OK, making a housing like this may be difficult :)  I guess this is kind =
of=20
like VATN, but better :)

-Andrew