[Diy_efi] RE: Throttling intake air -- references

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 16 15:54:08 GMT 2003

Yeah I agree, though when cruising or even up an incline
its very unlikely your wastegate would be 'modulating',
mine is a simple diaphragm to a lever to open a flap,
which only moves about 0.25inch... and doesnt open at
all until I get to 10.5psi. ie. Its slammed shut, there
is absolutely no modulation at all - nothing to drive it
open except manifold pressure via a diaphragm.

The fact I can gently reduce throttle and control boost
with my foot from any pressure to any other pressure up
to 10.5psi (provided I dont run out of road) suggests
some elctronics can do the same thing.

Besides the messy flow at the turbine outlet it occured
to me that since we throttle the engine power and boost
anyway by using the foot pedal, why not extend this when
we have flybywire by having the ecu do effectively the same
thing then we can dispense with the wastegate - provided there
is an appropriate PID type control - then it should result
im more efficient operation with less fuel consumed comparatively
due to improved exhaust flow and no venting via a wastegate if
the ECU/TB is doing the right thing...

The aero issue, Brian brought up, and yes its apples vs oranges,
in completely different control environment due to large
inlet pressure changes. I get the impression some participants
on this list think I meant flapping the throttle the same way
some controllers flap the wastegate (which I didnt) and I also
get the impression there is a certain dogma in needing to
think wastegate bypass is the only way of doing it, it certainly
has some momentum but it doesnt mean its best overall in terms
of fuel consumption since it also isnt best control systems
theory.

Heck you could also help control boost by cylinder skipping
fuel if at the extreme end of bosot - but thats another story ;)

rgds

mike