[Diy_efi] RE: Throttling intake air -- references

Ohio Benz ohiobenz at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 16 15:35:37 GMT 2003

All this discussion has been interesting - for what I
don't know.
When I drive a car, I get in it and count on a)My ECU
controls the right AFR, b)My wastegate opens when my
turbo exceeds the boost level I desire for my engine
so that even though I continue to accelerate I don't
blow the head right off (hopefully I have properly
matched my AR to the engine to reduce surge and
overspooling) c)My BOV works so that when I see the
friendly local Johnny Law and snap off the throttle -
it dumps my escess boost.

Now when I drive on the highway with my cruise on, I
surmise that my EGT's are much lower, my turbo is
spooling slower, wastegate is barely modulating unless
I go up a hill and come under load conditions.

What I've been reading is comparing an aero
application which is continually under load vs
automotive applications where load fluctuates
constantly - Apples vs Oranges IMO.

=====
Jerrit Ekama

OHB Tuning
Custom fabrication of performance parts for your Mercedes, VW, BMW, Audi.
U.S. domestic and foreign vehicle repair and maintenance.
Powder coating, Anodizing, TIG welding, CNC machining services.
IM: OHBenz