[Diy_efi] RE: Throttling intake air -- references

Grant Beaty gbeaty at ufl.edu
Thu Jan 16 20:32:50 GMT 2003

> Hang on if its surging through normal driving, isnt that a bad
> match. For normal road use why would you have wild throttle changes,
> and even if you do the turbo is not going to be damaged.

Thats not reall normal driving, thats trying to modulate low boost at high
RPMs. On a road course I'd probably be unwinding the steering wheel and
giving it more throttle by then. I matched my turbo for 15 to 28 psi.

> I dont seem to have any problem or surge noise when I use my foot
> to back off smoothly from say 5psi to 2psi, it dosnt change the throttle
> opening by much and I dont get any surge noise as far as I can tell.

You can't always hear it - sometimes you need to look for a flutter in the
boost gauge. Not that your probably getting surge.

> In any case, the turbo is well able to handle people deaccelerating
> all the time isnt it, we do it daily so whats the problem  ?

I agree, should be perfectly drivable.

> Who says you need low throttle positions to maintain 10psi boost,

I do!!! VERY low. Then again, my turbo isn't exactly sized for low-end
power, its sized to make power from 4800-6800 at 15-28 psi.

> I am *not* suggesting any sort of wild throttle fluctations
> in any similar format to existing 'flutter' type wastegate controllers
> where the wastegate is modulated on/off fashion with varying frequency
> depending on engine rpm/load situations... <geesh>

What exactly is flutter type controllers? You mean a solenoid of varying
duty cycle? In that case, I believe the solenoid's behavior simple varies
pressure to the WG, the WG itself doesn't "flutter". If it did, you'd be
able to hear it (the ones vented to the atmo).

Grant Beaty

> What I am trying to get across is an extension of the human foot
> pedal control approach, as the boost rises, the rate of throttle
> opening increase diminishes until max boost is reached and not
> allowed to go further but if it does then the throttle is backed
> off in a smooth control systems type paradigm - *not* at all
> by any flutter or wild on/off type movement.
>
> Is that possibly the reason that I am getting some flak for
> even suggesting this, people think I am talking flutter control ?
>
> Are there so many wastegate controllers that are just dumb basic
> bang-bang flutter type controllers and are not PID (proportional)
> that misleads the paradigm I am trying to get across ?
>
> <sigh>
>
> rgds
>
> mike
>

> >And this is with a wastegate, I can hear it open modulating the throttle
as
> >low as 8ish psi. Without the WG the pressure ratio would be even greater.
> >
> >Grant

Science
> >in

> >college