[Diy_efi] RE: Throttling intake air

efi student efi.student at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 17 07:44:47 GMT 2003

The analysis of the BMW F1 engine I read some years ago stated the =
reason
for the throttleplate in front of the compressor was to maintain turbine
shaft speed since the turbo was so large for such a small displacement
engine.  It's function was to aid spool in an on/off/on throttle =
situation.

Lance

I believe there is a non-trivial efficiency associated with a throttle
before the compressor.  All types of compressor designs would benefit =
from
that as the compressor then draws little power from it's source, whether
that be turbine or crank.  The other benefit I could see, WRT turbos is =
that
you will get a higher shaft speed at lower loads, so boost upon WOT is
faster.

--Perry

--=20
Perry Harrington			Data Acquisition & Instrumentation,
Inc=09
perry at dainst dot com
http://www.dainst.com/

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty or safety. Nor, are they likely to end up
with either.
                             -- Benjamin Franklin