[Diy_efi] Thermal barrier coatings

John Stricker jstricke at rwisp.com
Mon Jan 20 22:35:58 GMT 2003

I have no first hand knowledge of this, but that shouldn't keep me from
commenting on the internet!  8-)

I am going to try something on the Northstar I'm building.  I have a '94 and
that is the engine that has the heavier ring lands on the pistons.  I'm not
going to be abusing it too hard, and I was amazed at the pristine look of
the pistons after 160,000 miles.  I've talked to Swain Technology in NY
about their coatings.  They've been doing it longer and have done more and
different pieces than anyone around AFAIK.

I'm going to have them ceramic coat the piston tops and put a molydisulfide
coating on the skirts while using Total Seal gapless rings.  What I'm trying
to do is make the most of what I have.  I know that the ceramic is no
substitute for forged, but it does give a good level of protection against
melting if tuning is way off initially, which is a distinct possibility.
The other big advantage they claim (and that they say they can document) is
greatly reduced temperatures below the piston from the rod, to the crank, to
the oil.

Back to your question, one of the things they do offer is coating the
bottoms of intakes.  In some applications, I can see that it might make a
very noticeable difference.  Engines like the SB Chevy and BB Chevy where
the manifolds are exposed to the hot oil.  Other engines, the Northstar for
instance, I don't think would benefit (even if it were possible) because of
the 6"+ air gap between it and the valley and a sealed valley at that.
There's just not much heat to deflect.

I think the value will depend on the individual application.  If you  have
an engine that has the bottom exposed to a lot of heat, I can see some
benefit.  If you don't, then there won't be much.

John Stricker