[Diy_efi] Thermal barrier coatings

Allyn amalventano at sc.rr.com
Mon Jan 20 23:01:28 GMT 2003

some of the vw aftermarket companies are making a 1/4" thick gasket that
appears to be made of some kind of fiber/epoxy mix (it looked like melamine,
the electrical insulating type). it is sandwiched between 2 stock gaskets.
the idea is to shield the entire intake manifold from heat that would
normally be conducted from the head. while i have not seen any numbers on
this, it should work well enough. i would try it myself, but like most
aftermarket companies, they are charging through the nose for it.

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 180k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX ('it has begun', rocco #7)