[Diy_efi] Thermal barrier coatings

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 22 00:36:07 GMT 2003

At 8:38 AM 1/21/03, John Stricker wrote:
>Greg,
>
>Weigh in on something for me, if you would.
>
>I've heard from several places that Teflon is not the way to go.  Teflon
>repels oil (along with everything else) and it's so slippery that the oil
>will not stay on it.  Moly disulfide is the second most popular coating, and
>it retains oil.  Now all of this is from people trying to sell me something,
>of course, and the Teflon advocate folks are quick to point out that if
>Teflon is THAT slippery what do you care if it sheds the oil?  A good
>question.  But then again, if Teflon works that well, why not coat
>everything with it and not run any oil at all??

Sorry I got to the other post first, John.

The Nimet coatings are NOT at all JUST teflon--more like some teflon in a
matrix. Teflon is soft. Hard anodizing and carbide are, needless to say,
VERY hard. Just enough teflon in the matrix to make the surface slippery,
but NONE of the easy to scratch characteristics of just a teflon coating.

One is quite likely better off with the NiMet teflon/hard anodizing on a
4032 alloy forged piston rather than a 2618 alloy one--although less
ductile, the 4032 is harder, and thus will give a better, less likely to
deform substrate for the teflon/anodizing !!

I think the unpredictabilty of the diy coatings lies in the
unpredictability of diy surface prep  and process !!

HPC is my choice for GOOD, CONSISTENT thermal barrier coatings.

Greg