[Diy_efi] GM MPI on AMC V8 project

Kenneth Gaines Kenneth.Gaines at tpwd.state.tx.us
Wed Jan 22 01:36:43 GMT 2003

Hi there guys....definite newbie here. I have been lurking in the background
for a while now and I finally decided to post something. Let me give you a
little background on this project...
I have a 1980 CJ7 with an AMC 360 and TF727 tranny in it. It is currently
fed by an Edelbrock Performer manifold with a (ugh) Holley 4160 carburetor.
The ignition system is the OEM MotorCraft DuraSpark II with a TFI upgrade
installed. The engine runs quite well, but, being a Jeep, it gets TERRIBLE
gas mileage and the Holley won't stay tuned for more than a week or two. I
want to fix all this and I think I know how....GM MPI and HEI.
I have been researching this project for a while now and it is all coming to
a head in a couple of weeks. I have spoken to the good people at
CustonEFIs.com and I am about to order an MPI kit from him. Well, as luck
would have it, I came across a couple of gold pieces in my friend's "Jeep
parts yard" here in Rockport, Texas. I found a new IN THE BOX GM ECM Service
#1227727 and a computer-controlled (I think) GM HEI distributor. I can get
the distributor converted to fit the AMC V8 for a minimal amount of $$.
With all of that said, I have a question or two.
1.) How do I tell if thie distributor is, in fact, a computer controlled
unit?
2.) If it isn't a computer controlled unit, could it be made so?
3.) If it is a computer controlled unit, will it work with the ECM I have
(1227727)?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Sincerely,
Ken Gaines