[Diy_efi] GM MPI on AMC V8 project

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Wed Jan 22 03:20:54 GMT 2003

Kenneth Gaines wrote:
> parts yard" here in Rockport, Texas. I found a new IN THE BOX GM ECM Service
> #1227727 and a computer-controlled (I think) GM HEI distributor. I can get
> the distributor converted to fit the AMC V8 for a minimal amount of $$.
> With all of that said, I have a question or two.

Good find.  There's info in the DIY archives about jeep conversions.

> 1.) How do I tell if thie distributor is, in fact, a computer controlled
> unit?

If the connector is 7 or 8 pins then it's computer.  4 pins=non
computer.  If it has a vacuum advance can, or mechanical advance it's
non computer.  small cap=computer.

> 2.) If it isn't a computer controlled unit, could it be made so?

yes, lock the vacuum and mechanical advance.

> 3.) If it is a computer controlled unit, will it work with the ECM I have
> (1227727)?

yes, all computer HEI distributors are the same electrically.

Try searching google for AMC and HEI, I saw a lot of stuff.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com