[Diy_efi] WI, methanol, and corrosion

Marcell Gal cell at x-dsl.hu
Thu Jan 23 02:58:58 GMT 2003

Hi guys,

> the combustion chamber. This excess water will not evaporate fully in
> the throttlebody because the intake charge is already at its dew
> point and the excess will remain in suspended liquid form.

This saturation issue (mentioned by several people) sounds
logical to me.
Does it mean that it does not make a big difference where we place
the water injector (but it must be after intercooler, of course).
So why bother with lotsof water/methanol injectors when
a quite good setup can be achieved by having a
- central ("throttle body") water injector
- central ("throttle body") methanol injector
- sequential port gasoline injectors

The sequential port injection makes it possible to use an aggressive
(quite overlapped) cam without horrible gas milage
 (due to increased low rpm fuel consumption what would result from
insufficient injection timing /TBI or bank fire/ and long valve overlap).
At higher power requirement we inject water (instead of the
excessively rich gasoline mixture) and at extremely high
power requirements (boost) we inject water and methanol to
further increase octane and resist knocking.
With this we can control octane from 95 .. 113 on-demand
- or a smaller range, depending on injector sizing
and still drive on inexpensive fuel most of the time.
The cost efficient setup can use just one water/methanol
premixed tank, but that would hurt flexibility a little.

Do I miss something?

What are easy ways to have the small water and separate methanol tank
be pressurized by the same electric pump?
(I know that they can be pressurized manually by a bicycle pump,
but an electric pump might worth the cost.)
Are there any common places to get pumps for this ? Maybe from some
aquarist applications? A dry air-compressor would be just as good,
since we do not mind not being able to inject water/methanol for
a few seconds after startup while the small tanks pressurize.
What's available for measuring liquid level ?
Has anyone got experience with this?

What is the difference between methanol and ethanol
 with ICE ? ;-))  /what we're not gonna drink, are we?/

thanx:
  Marcell

 --
How many surrealists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

One to hold the giraffe and one to fill the bathtub with brightly colored
power tools.