[Diy_efi] WI, methanol, and corrosion

Axel Rietschin Axel_Rietschin at compuserve.com
Thu Jan 23 12:28:26 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marcell Gal" <cell at x-dsl.hu>
To: <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 4:12 AM
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] WI, methanol, and corrosion

> > the combustion chamber. This excess water will not evaporate fully in
> > the throttlebody because the intake charge is already at its dew
> > point and the excess will remain in suspended liquid form.

Even a little water evaporation (before it enters the cylinders) will
displace _some_ oxygen and this is a bad thing.

> This saturation issue (mentioned by several people) sounds
> logical to me.
> Does it mean that it does not make a big difference where we place
> the water injector (but it must be after intercooler, of course).

Yep.

> So why bother with lotsof water/methanol injectors when
> a quite good setup can be achieved by having a
> - central ("throttle body") water injector
> - central ("throttle body") methanol injector
> - sequential port gasoline injectors

If you treat water as fuel, treat water like fuel :-)

Besite that, methanol will increase the combustion temp. While it is true it
resists knock more than gasoline, it is nowhere near as effective as
suppressing the phenomenon as pure water alone.