[Diy_efi] WI, methanol, and corrosion

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 24 01:01:06 GMT 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 01:39:27PM +0100, Axel Rietschin wrote:
> From: "Marcell Gal" <cell at x-dsl.hu>

> > > the combustion chamber. This excess water will not evaporate fully in
> > > the throttlebody because the intake charge is already at its dew
> > > point and the excess will remain in suspended liquid form.
>
> Even a little water evaporation (before it enters the cylinders)
> will displace _some_ oxygen and this is a bad thing.

Typically between 0.1% and 4% of the air can be water vapour under
atmospheric conditions... After that, it's off to the steam tables!

Although reducing the amount of oxygen correspondingly is generally
a "bad thing" because the power potential is reduced, the water
vapour may allow more aggressive ignition timing resulting in a
greater increase in torque to offset the loss in potential power.