[Diy_efi] Re: WI, methanol, and corrosion (William

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 24 03:34:24 GMT 2003

At 6:07 PM 1/23/03, Startled Jackrabbit wrote:

>> I know someone running 28PSI with no intercooler
>> using pre-turbo injection.

Tractor pull diesels commonly run _60_ psi boost (single stage) with no IC
but post turbo WI.

8-0

>> It can be done.
>
>I think it should be noted that pre-turbo injection
>can be a little risky.  Sure, the compressor blades
>will atomize the water extremely well,

If you keep the volume of pre-turbo water down to only what is needed, and
atomize it WELL, no problem.

Pre-compressor water will actually make the compression more nearly
isothermal than adiabatic, and thus reduce the amount of power needed to
drive the compressor somewhat (maybe 8 or 10%)--thus improving
spooling/reducing backpressure on the motor.

Total amount of water needed (to hold a given IAT at a given boost level)
is also reduced because of the reduced compressor power.

MOST of the actual compression actually occurs in the diffuser (after the
air has left the compressor wheel). The compression process is what
generates most of the heat.

Food for thought : inject the water into the compressor housing, inside the
scroll, but just OUTSIDE of the outer edge of the compressor wheel.

Greg