[Diy_efi] WI, methanol, and corrosion

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 24 14:36:06 GMT 2003

At 5:55 AM 1/24/03, Dave Dahlgren wrote:
>How long does this phase change take?

ALL depends on how thoroughly atomized the water is. Evaporation rate is a
function of surface area to weight or volume.

I expect I could apply your lack of time argument to the evaporation of the
fuel (particularly if running methanol) and likely prove that the engine
couldn't possibly run because the fuel doesn't have time to evaporate-- in
fact, this may be touching on why alky fueled engines need to be run so
much richer than stoich !! Likely also gets into some of the why of Honda
=46-1 engines that pre-heated (mostly toluol) fuel.

If there is heat available, and lots of surface area, and the surrounding
gas is not saturated with respect to the vapor of the liquid which is
evaporating  (at the ambient temp), then evaporation is a FAST process.

Greg

you only have 18.46 milliseconds per cycle