[Diy_efi] Leaking injectors

Toyota Supra turbosupramk3 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 28 04:17:44 GMT 2003

hey bill and brian,

i found a total of 3 leaking injectors, one that i had removed before, and 2
more in the latest round of testing, all 3 dribbled out, two dribbled out a
bit more than the others. i was able to swap in two more found and tested
working, and they held.

as for my test, i took a dsm head, rail and regulator, along with a walboro
pump. i submerged it into 2 gallons of gas (that was in a bucket) and let it
run for 20 or 30 minutes. this was able to heat the gasoline up to a
temperature that was warm to the touch. at this point, i cycled it at stock
fuel pressure (about 38 pounds with no signal) and up to about 90 psi.

upon that test, i was able to ween out the good and bad injectors. none of
them seemed to have any physical appearing damage, and suprisingly, two of
the three that were bad, seemed to hold all pressures after i opened them up
and let them spray a couple of times, but i still wasn't comfortable with
reusing them.

lastly, i was able to watch the mechanical fuel pressure gauge and see that
fuel pressure would hold after the pumps would shut off. before it would
fall from ~37 to 0 in about 3 seconds following pump shut off ... now it
will hold for 3 minutes or more.

when the gasoline was heated and at lower pressures, is where the 2
injectors leaked the most, so thank you both for the suggestions, and also
to anyone else that has helped me through this crazy situation!

now i have to tune the aic :P

-j