[Diy_efi] WI, methanol, and corrosion

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 30 21:53:36 GMT 2003

--- Axel Rietschin <Axel_Rietschin at compuserve.com>
wrote:

> Anyway, your explanation leaves me with a question:
> why one onf the biggest name in motorsports, one
> with "unlimited" R&D and resources,  is using an IC
> and port WI if there is some free lunch in not using
> one and injecting water earlier?

Wow, there's a question for you.  Not working in their
R&D department, I can't say for sure, nor would I
probably be allowed to if I knew.  ;)

However, I can tell you some things about racing R&D.
Funds and ideas may be unlimited, but time is
definitely not.  The off-season is not very long, in
terms of developing and testing new ideas.

It's very common for racing organizations, even big
ones, to spend their limited time on proven
technologies, and slipping in an occasional one
someone else might be using, or that they heard some
good things about.  If they had a lab devoted to 24/7
R&D that could test every possible combination and
just hand working new ideas to the actual race team,
then you might see some ideas come out that are good.
But I've never heard of a racing organization that
operates that way.  Even "unlimited" budgets have
practical limits at some point, and setting up a
full-time unlimited R&D lab would probably cost more
than a season of racing and development for one of
those teams currently.  I somehow doubt either the
concept or the finances would be approved for that
one.  AFAIK, it never has been.

So ulimately, unless someone gets a bright idea and
can convince someone to test it in the off season, an
unused idea typically stays that way...  If it's not
on someone else's racing vehicle, and you already have
a full R&D scedule, your bright idea may never be realized...

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |