[Diy_efi] WI, methanol, and corrosion

Bill SHURVINTON bill at shurvinton.fsworld.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 22:40:36 GMT 2003

Actually I think the answer is fairly easy on this one: weight and duty
cycle. For street or strip use the time at max power is no more than about
20 seconds at a go, followed by a cool down (or even strip down) period. On
the track, you could be up to 80% of your time at full throttle. In the
motorsport case (and I believe you are referring to the WRC zetec) the
additional ballast of enough intercooling could be enough to render it
unattractive. On a street application, you may end up interwarming as much
as intercooling.

Example. The original Ford escort cosworth sold for homologation purposes
had twin intercoolers. One air:air, the second air:water. How often on the
road do you get to the point where an air:water unit, running off the engine
coolant will reduce heat rather than increase it? But on a rally stage it is
probably very useful.

It's all about compromises.

Bill