[Diy_efi] Retrofit of GM ESC

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Fri Jan 31 04:46:56 GMT 2003

The early ESC control modules are flakey units.  When they fail, the
vehicle will not run.  Replacement costs for dealer parts were farily
expensive about 5 years ago.  I would not recommend using one.

With that said, the easiest way to install the system is to find a mid
80's GM truck or van with a 305 and obtain the distributor, harness,
knock sensor, and control module for your engine.  Other routes include
purchasing the module for the above unit and physically modifying the
distributor so it will fit and making your own harness.

California Emissions Vettes from maybe 1980 or 81 had a 305 installed.
Those vehicle may have all the parts you need, and there's a good chance
you could find one for an off-key song.

Shannen